Powered By Blogger

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Book Review: The Fault in Our Stars


This is me sitting in math class after taking a test and supposedly reading. But I can't. Because I just finished The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. 
I'm frustrated with the ending. It just ends. It's not like Anna's story in "An Imperial Affliction". It isn't mid sentence and then death. It isn't a diary entry. Those few words at the end of the page just severs ties. They keep me flipping the page wanting there to be more words. But that, my dear readers, is impossible.  I don't want a list of acknowledgements.  I want more writing by John Green! 



The world isn't a wish granting factory. Those damn words put together couldn't be more true. I'm getting sidetracked.

Summary: Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

Hazel is an amazing character to follow. She does all of these crazy little things, like traveling with Augustus Waters just after she's met him a few days ago.

Is it even possible to fall in love with someone in such a short period of time and make it feel like a small infinity in the limit you have to live?

John Green had me turning the page every minute. Once I get lost in a book, that's where I'll stay for the rest of the afternoon.

It's a beautifully written piece of future classic literature. Even without being a series, it has a huge fandom. It has me laughing, crying and feeling every emotion possible in the 313 pages that it conquers.

Hazel Grace covers the deepest thoughts possible. She looks at everything with a great perspective. There are eloquent quotes throughout the whole book that I want to jot down.

The only problem that I have with this book is that it's flawless. I can't even begin to imagine how I could have lived ignoring such a great book. I'm not even emphasising when I say that it changes your point of view of the-thing-that-isn't-a-wish-granting-factory.

John Green has a clear understanding of what it's like to be ill.

We live in Hazel's life as we read TFiOS. She never wanted to hurt anyone and never longed to leave a permanent mark on the world to have people remember her. She just wanted to live out the rest of her days. 

This book combines humor, romance, and tragedy in the best way that I've ever read. (That's why it got me crying in the bathroom stall of some fancy restaurant just yesterday. Read the book. I promise it isn't going to do any harm. If anything, it makes your life better, AND THEN TEARS YOUR HEART INTO PIECES.

Overall: 9.99/10

Signed,
Ivy

No comments:

Post a Comment