Powered By Blogger

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Nick's Book of the Month – November 2013


Title: Proxy
Author: Alex London
Summary: (from Goodreads)
"Knox was born into one of the City’s wealthiest families. A Patron, he has everything a boy could possibly want—the latest tech, the coolest clothes, and a Proxy to take all his punishments. When Knox breaks a vase, Syd is beaten. When Knox plays a practical joke, Syd is forced to haul rocks. And when Knox crashes a car, killing one of his friends, Syd is branded and sentenced to death.

Syd is a Proxy. His life is not his own.

Then again, neither is Knox’s. Knox and Syd have more in common than either would guess. So when Knox and Syd realize that the only way to beat the system is to save each other, they flee. Yet Knox’s father is no ordinary Patron, and Syd is no ordinary Proxy. The ensuing cross-country chase will uncover a secret society of rebels, test both boys’ resolve, and shine a blinding light onto a world of those who owe and those who pay. Some debts, it turns out, cannot be repaid"

This book just came out over the summer, and it's kind of gotten lost among sooo many new YA dystopia books that are coming out recently. And it shouldn't be. I bought this on a hunch while I was browsing Barnes & Noble--and I never do that. I read it very quickly, and I'm glad that I bought it.

This book is quite different from most YA dystopians out recently. It does not have a carbon-copy-of-Katniss female lead, which is nice. It has two male leads, and one of them is gay. So no, not your average dystopian book.

Despite one of the boys being gay, there is no question of the two of them being together in a relationship. That's also different; 95% of the time in these books, the male lead and the female lead get together, unless they're brother and sister (leaving Cassandra Clare out of this equation--she's just a crazy lady). I will rant about that someday. Hmmm, should I put all of my rants into one post and show it to you guys? Nah, that would probably overload the entire internet. Whatever, back on topic.

This book had a lot of action in it too. It was fast-paced. It's great for anyone who is looking for a quick read that is not too deep.

Sorry for this guys, this BOTM definitely sucks, but I had to put it together real fast. I'm so far behind in reviews! Ugh, I'm drowning in stuff to do and I don't even have homework this weekend!

- Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment